America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Wanna Race?

From left: Murat, Bill D, Matt K, Joe B and Ralf G.This was not a repeat of last weekend where I trained more miles than the Tour Of Cali peloton raced in the past two days.. Instead I did my favorite hilly 40 mile loop- and twice! Saturday I went out in the afternoon with the intention of trashing myself from start to finish. I'm after a key piece of data and the only way to get it is to just drill it for over an hour. My previous attempt on this route was January 10th and my time was 2:19:39. This time, I took off 11 minutes (2:08:38) and added over 20w to both avg and norm power. This is especially encouraging when you consider that I'm about 3kg lighter than Jan 10th.. Our team's annual spring ride/meeting was Sunday and we repeated the same route, but at a pace where we could talk to eachother.. and besides the legs kept reminding me of Saturday's effort.

4 comments:

solobreak said...

Hey data man, how does the kcsl number Polar OwnCal throws at you compare with what you get for actuals off the powermeter? OwnCal is pretty stingy at 454/hour. That takes into account your age, weight, and what level of fitness you plug in (if you use "top" it will count everything above 90 bpm as elevated metabolism, but if you choose "average" it will use 100 bpm). But 454/hour has got to be way low for an effort like that. Some calc methods would triple that. But your PT reads an actual off the hub, then I think the software does an efficiency conversion for you, but I'd be curious as to what it spit at you for this ride.

IMA said...

That 454 might be relative to the point on the chart where the cursor was positioned- notice the heart rate next to this reading..
I will get you the actual kcals from the data that isn't given here and compare it to the PT data.

IMA said...

Polar says I did 2650 calories, and Peaks says I did 1723 kJ on this ride.

solobreak said...

1723 kj at the hub is 479 watt/hours so over 2:08 that is about 225 watts average, and 412 kcal at the hub. Even if you were only 20% efficient that would come to just 2060 kcal burned. I'm surprised that your Polar came out to 2600. Mine always gives me a very low number, but then again my HR is way lower than yours. What fitness level do you have yourself programmed in as?