America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Nothing left to do

We've been at my father's house for all of 90 minutes. It's 8:50 pm Saturday May 24th. Moments ago I sent my wife to go stay at her mom's with my son. None of us have slept in the past 24 hours, unless numerous 5 minute episodes of passing out in the airplane count..
I do not recognize my father's appearance.. And in his incoherence I have doubts about whether he recognizes me. The shock and awe of seeing his wife carry him to the bathroom heimlich style.. Paled in comparison to the moment they emerged from the bathroom.. And father's legs gave out... The same legs that raced bikes 45 years ago.. And I lifted his weak and crumpled body from the floor the way that a father carries his slumbering 5 year old child and I carried him to his bed, for a moment astonished at my burst of strength.. until I realized how much he's wasted away.
This has been the most difficult hour of my life.
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

1 comment:

the Husband said...

Murat....I hate to say but it will get worse and if I were you start thinking about the goodbye.... I flew from Hong Kong to Manchester spent 4 days in the hospice and then one month later had to fly back from HK to Manchester for the funeral...leaving the first time was the single hardest thing I have ever done as I knew that was the last time I would ever see my father alive......so as I say start thinking about how you going to cope with this ..