America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

As The Wheel Turns: Flickr Update etc

I've just uploaded a bunch of photos from the Cycle for Life Pro-1-2-3 Crit. See the Flickr badge on the right. These were taken by my dear wife, before I flatted before I took the camera from her to shoot some video... Looks like I'm listed as a "pack" finisher on Bikereg Results, even though I had to quit with 13 to go. I'll take it.. better than being shown as a DNF.. Besides, I was primed for a top ten finish if the damn tire would have held air...
I felt like a wad of camel spit at work today.. The Seasonal Blues are upon me... I skipped riding on Sunday due to the weather.. Today I was trapped in a four hour production meeting in which I am a contributor for all of four minutes.. yet I am compelled to sit there and get jabbed by our President each time I doze off... Screw that. If it's inappropriate to be excused, then I'm just getting up and saying I have to go home early. At least then I can get a decent ride in before dark, instead of sitting there in that effing circle jerk. This is what I did...
Feeling depressed about Saturday's misfortune and about no-riding on Sunday, I resolved to go out and punish myself with a timed ride on my designated "hilly fitness test route". It's 26.2 miles, about 1300 feet of climbing, and it's hard enough to grow hair on your chest, at least when you drill it at LT the whole way... I didn't exactly shatter my previous personal best from back on July 3rd, but I did shave 30 seconds off and that counts for something, especially considering that I had to force myself out on the bike (I REALLY didn't feel like riding, but clenched my teeth but used the potential self-hate of being a pussy as a motivator to go)
I don't know how to show you a Polar chart (not without printing and scanning) so I'll give you a very old chart of the same exact route, so you can see the profile. (scratch that- effing Blogger is not letting me upload pictures) It goes like this: Fairview Ave to route 115 to route 116 to Route 12 to Old Plainfield Road to route 102 to Maple Valley Road to Route 117 to Fairview Ave to Maple Ave where I live. Counter-clock-wise. The hills are on Route 12 and Old Plainfield (where it peaks) It's harder than it looks- the two larger hills are 1+ mile long.
Scoping the weather report for Jamestown on Monday.. I hear that the course has some hillyness to it... Hopefully it's easy like Bob Beal or Topsfield. I do well on hills that I can power over in the 53x19, my favorite gear.

4 comments:

solobreak said...

Murat - To post a Polar file, you need to save it as an image. It is a pain in the ass, but it goes like this (in Windows):

1) Pull up the graph.
2) alt-Print Screen to copy the active window (the graph) to the Windows clipboard
3) Open a graphics application such as Gimp, Photoshop, or Paint
4) Paste the graph as a graphic into the blank image file.
5) Crop and resize as needed.
6) Save at a fairly high resolution, as at 96 dpi it will look like shit. It is easiest in Photoshop, as you can save it as 300 dpi, then export as a jpeg and it will do the rest, leaving you with a reasonably small file. Better yet, save a low res to hold the place on the page, then link it to the hi-res for those who care to actually look at it.

I told you it was a pain in the ass...

IMA said...

Thanks for the run-down. I'll try it. Still seems easier than printing and scanning.

Zoo said...

lol, gotta love when they put you down as finishing even though you DNF'd, makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

IMA said...

You're right, it felt good!