America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Smelly shoes: "This can't be healthy"

It was summer of 2005 when I bought the pair of cycling shoes which I use currently (I now realize)- a pair of DMT Ultramax Flash or something or other. My previous DMTs came apart after just a couple of rainy rides. This current pair though- I'm blown away by the durability. They were made in Bosnia, of all places, and let me tell you- these things have been soaked through at least 20 times in the past few seasons. I've changed the cleats on them for the 5th time. Still, they look pretty good and fit me superbly after three years of abusive use and crashes. I even put custom DIY insoles in there (the kind you heat in the oven) so they conform to my feet perfectly. Unfortunately, all of this rainy riding and stuffing them with newspaper overnight, has made these things smell hideous. I'm basically considering replacement for that reason alone, otherwise I can see these shoes lasting through next season. But there comes a point on the smell-o-meter where you have to say "Whoa, this can't be healthy". I can't imagine the vast numbers and varieties of microscopic friends who now accompany me on every ride. I'm thinking they probably weigh a lot more than they did when I bought them, kind of like a mattress, which gets heavier from use over the years. Gross.
I can't believe it's really been three years since I bought these. That's a blog post from when I first started out with my other blog, Amerikan Turk. Seems I got my money's worth ($139 actually)
Thanks.

5 comments:

solobreak said...

Why not just try washing them with strong soap? Can't hurt if you're going to junk them anyway.

IMA said...

Nothing short of complete emersion and agitation with strong poisonous chemicals in a washing machine will emulsify the filth and dilute the odor. And besides, I'd need the new shoes and cleats on deck ready to go if I wanted to take such a chance, in case they came apart at the seams. I'm cheap, yet I want a pair of chromium Sidi Ergo Twos.. Not going to find those for $139, that's for sure.

solobreak said...

Try Turtle Wax interior cleaner. It's a foaming spray. Has silicone in it and a strong scent of it's own. If it doesn't work at least you'll have something to clean the inside of your car with.

IMA said...

Sounds like it will melt the skin off my feet bro. Silicone in the shoes will cause slippage, early withdrawel.
Hehe.

gewilli said...

any good enzyme based cleaner should work well...

but then...

what would have worked better might have been periodic care

;)

if ya don't want the silicone stuff then go with Shout or Spray N wash or Oxyclean or something like that... give em a good soak in a high concentration... then a few rinses...

or just use this as excuse to buy something ;)