America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Friday, May 04, 2007

Burn-out?

I am really slogging through my last few rides. HR doesn't want to go up. When I force it, the whole body screams STOP! I can't help but feel like I was more fit, more fresh back in February. I did the Long Beach Circuit Race in CA back then.. Caught behind a crash and eliminated 1/2 way through.. but we averaged 27-1/2 mph for that first 1/2 hour I was in it, and I was not in any difficulty at all. Now it seems I can't get out of my own way in crits that are not nearly as fast.. The death spiral began at Rick Newhouse I think. Figures. DNFed twice that day. Didn't have it. Naturally, I train harder, longer, faster in frustration.. and DNF again at the GVCC Classic and at Palmer. Something's not right. Do I rest my way back into shape? Forget the bike completely for 1-2 weeks? Does such a rescue plan put me even farther behind the curve? Does it get worse before it gets better, like a home remodeling project? Ugh. 

8 comments:

nhrider said...

Hi Murat,

I think a few days to a week off the bike is what you need. I know it seems to go against your deisre to train more, but believe me, if you are in the funk you seem to be in, it WILL help. You need to refocus and re-energize.

gewilli said...

are ya taking at least 2 days off doing NO riding at all?

are you getting the EASY rides in?

as in (when you get your powa meeta) under 200 watts for the whole ride? (think leave it in the lowest gear and keep RPMs under 100)?

or is the stresses of life eating away at your muscles?

are you trying to hard to drop weight and suffering through caloric debt hell?

the Husband said...

remedy = beach + family + pool + ball and no bike, work or laptop for about 5 days

trust me you will feel better after that, its worked for me when I used to race mountain bikes back in the day and felt like you did.

The alternative is to get horribly drunk then you wont feel like riding for a couple of days and get some enforced rest but knowing your aversion to alcohol that is probably not the most practical suggestion.

nhrider said...

remedy = beach + family + pool + ball and no bike, work or laptop for about 5 days

That's what I am talking about!

nhrider said...

For me, it's a week paying homage to the Mouse at Walt Disney World for a week. That's coming very soon!

Of course, then I will stress out about how expensive everything is!

the Husband said...

true but at least the legs get a rest and worrying about paying your visa card is a change from worrying about hr and VO2Max, cos then riding will feel like part of the answer! the mind is an amazing thing!!!!

IMA said...

aversion to alcohol? not quite. I have about one beer every two weeks. It just doesn't do anything for me like it used to.. Prefer Sam Adams Light.
NH: Disney sounds like a good time. Hope you enjoy your trip. Use United Airlines and get some bike vouchers. (You ARE taking your bike, right?)
Gewilli, yes all my rides to work are easy rides. when I get the powertap, I hope we can compare notes, as I'm completely ignorant on the subject. Stresses of life, yes, lots of that these days. Not trying hard to drop weight, no. Stuck at 173-175 since January. There's a 150 pound cat 2 in there somewhere.. Time for lipo?

the Husband said...

Murat, If you can get hold of a copy I would suggest a good book to look at is "The Lore of Running" by Tim Noakes. Although its about running it has a lot of really good info on training and overtraining.