America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Mystic Velo Crit: The suck knob has broken off..

That's me, 3rd wheel.. in the distance you can see the break , more than a 1/2 lap ahead of us..
I'm thinking more and more that the peak of my form was back in July.. When will I straighten up and fly straight again? I guess the improvement curve can aim up for only so long.. Grrrrrr. This G-d damned cold cost me a lot. Still hacking up globules of shit and still draining similar crap from the sinuses. Racing today felt like bloated suffocation.. To wit, I did a repeat of what happened to me at last year's Canton Cup: After the race I expelled about a half pint of phlegm from my throat. It just kept coming. Then after a nauseous tour of the Coventry Super Wal Mart we came home and I evacuated again.. let's just say there was an island named after me.. Tell you what, when the lungs get effed up from a cold, you lose fitness, speed, watts, functional threshold, all of that just DROPS. Stay healthy.
I finished the 35+.. even spent a few laps in the winning break, but it was just too hard for me to do for 20 more laps with them.. didn't have it..again..so I drifted back and we (the field) gradually absorbed all but six of the original break.. I didn't sprint at the end.. with two to go I dropped back and burned a match or two helping team mate Rick Kotch lap the field and effectively catch the two who already lapped us (and who we kept on a short leash). Would have liked to lead him out, but I was gassed and barely held on to the tail of the field on that last lap. In the end it didn't matter much. Rick got 3rd. Gale force winds sure broke things up though. We were doing 19-20 mph on the finishing straight, 28-33 on the back side. I was glad when it was over.

No comments: