America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hard couple of days

I was coerced into riding from Beacon Street to Wompatuck on Tuesday, and back. Round trip was 4 hours, 76 total miles. Would have been 90 except the crash ended the race after only 10 laps.. Yesterday I dared myself to ride from my house in West Warwick all the way to Ninigret Park in Charlestown- it was into the wind the whole entire way. This is something I’ve been meaning to try for a long time.. I then proceeded to race for an hour at a pretty high intensity.. Then I did a quick change into warm dry apparel (had my backpack) and rode it home in another 1:38. So overall 92 miles in a total time of 4:30. Cramps struck my quads in the last 6-7 laps of the race, taking me out of contention for the field sprint. The cramps abated on the dark ride home, but man alive there were a gazillion bugs out on Route 2- It sounded like a toy machine gun the way these things were slapping against my wind breaker. Head down and mouth closed was the only way to go. Got myself a bottle of Mike C’s beer for giving him an armchair ride to his prime. Cheers!  

So today I feel like I was hit by a train. Now it’s time to take it easy and taper myself all the way to May 30-31. I’m trying to get myself into the Masters National Championships in Bartin, Turkey that weekend. There are some technical issues to resolve, but I hope to be there and race and come home with something to show for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good luck with racing in turkey, sounds awesome. also, i have been known to ride the round trip from providence to ninigrit... so let me know if you try that again.