America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Friday, May 08, 2009

Prospect Park

I'm pre-registered for the first part of the New York Race Series- doing the 35+ race at 6:30 am tomorrow in Prospect Park. The first and last time I raced here was with former junior teammate Derek Larson- a prodigy of the late 80s who was distracted from racing by a career in the military. Anyway, we drove down to Prospect Park one cold April morning and lined up to start a senior race which included George Hincapie- there weren't enough juniors so they combined us. That was the 2nd ever USCF race that I entered. I did poorly. The day before, I did my first ever USCF event - a junior road race somewhere in the Albany region. It snowed. The cat 2/3 race which followed was stopped due to the white out conditions. There was 3 laps with a big hill. I led out the sprint (surprised?) and one only kid came around and took the win from me. A year or two later (1988 I think), Derek and I had another road trip while still juniors. First to a crit in Wantagh LI where I think Derek flatted and I was 7th or so. We spent the night at my aunt's house in Brooklyn and headed out to Newport the next mroning to do the "Bank of Newport Bicycle Classic". This was back when I still lived in western NY, so Newport was a foreign place to me. Maybe there are some local masters who remember this junior race- that would be cool. I don't remember much about it other than I went off the front with another kid for a few laps. We were given a two place prime- 1st place was a TISSOT watch, and 2nd place was $20. I wanted the cash and it was easy to get.. We were caught on the next lap and a new break formed before too long. Derek knew what he was doing, that's for sure. He knew everyone in the field who mattered. When this break formed he went flying past me to get into it and said "it's TIME!. go NOW!!". I did not have the legs to follow him. He and 6 or 7 kids got away and stayed away. I stayed in the field. Derek won the final sprint and the race. I took 2nd or 3rd in the field sprint for 10th overall. I didn't return to this New England area again until 1999 when I had a career change. They had some really cool long sleeve shirts and posters for the Newport Race that year. I wish I still had mine. When we returned to Rochester, our names were in the sports page of the Democrat and Chronicle newspaper. Derek's Dad called it in while we were still driving home on I-90. Good times.

1 comment:

Il Bruce said...

BON race. Is that the year is snowed? I only did it once and it started to snow.

I was sheparding a now accomplished Masters rider who was then a crazy strong 4 who couldn't corner that well. It started to snow and I got tires of chasing back up after the hairpin and went home.