America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ninigret Crit No 3

It was a typical Ninigret field with perhaps the nicest weather out of the last three races. I did a repeat of last week- had to be in Boston for a meeting (I'm in charge of a large millwork package for the new MIT-Sloan School of Management- oh joy) The drive home was horrible. In a moment of weakness I hit the old Micky Dees and had a chicken sandwich, fries and light lemonade. I know I'd be racing in three hours and the food selection off of I-93 was limited, as was my time. So I'm trying to get home and feeling woozy- like I want to curl up in the back of my minivan all tired and sleepy. Thankfully I made it home without crashing into anyone or driving off the road, but man was I pooped. It was exactly 5:00 when I got home. I layed down for what I knew whould need to be a 15 minute nap- or else I'd be late. Holy smokes I think that I had an epic dream that seemed like an eternity had passed - empires were built and destroyed - and I opened my eyes only 10 minutes after I had closed them. Did not know what day it was or what time it was, or why I was in bed fully clothed. But I'm refreshed believe it or not.. I jump and get to work throwing all my racing crap in my huge duffel, filling bottles, loading the car- I'm on my way in 10 minutes flat. Same as last week, I got a can of Red Bull and chugged it before the start. I also used Coca-Cola in my water bottle again (I'm fresh out of Amino Vital powder mix). So we raced for an hour. 26 mph average. Wind was not too bad this week. I did not contest any primes. My legs felt like mush from yesterday's ride. Even so, I covered a couple of breaks and did a little work. You might see a hump in my heart rate about mid-race- that's when I was in a break with Randy R. and Matt (Exodus) for 3 laps. I was a dead weight for them to drag around and it didn't last too long. From then on I retreated to the sprinter's lounge and gathered my wits, my nerves and my plan for finishing in the dough-re-mi. Three laps to go- I'm basically tail-gunning the field, which was pretty sketchy- some tired dudes are back there and they have trouble cornering all by themselves. Two laps to go- I take advantage of some serious drops in speed and move 1/3 of the way up. One lap to go- I'm half way to the front and keep jumping from wheel to wheel until I find the correct wheel to follow to the finish. Second to last corner my position isn't great, but I go into it with a lot of momentum, and I'm picking people off at eye popping speed. On the straight-away before the final corner, it's time to chew through the handlebars and follow the fresh legs to the front. Out of the saddle- seated- out again- seated through the final corner- threading the needle and taking risks that could put me in the ER if I mis-judge something by less than an inch.. Lady luck is one my side, as I'm on the tail of the winning train of Bill Y (NBX), Matt (Exodus) and Adam S (Spooky) and we all finished in that order. I basically got an armchair ride to 4th place and came pretty darn close to pipping Adam for 3rd, not that it was easy- whatever I had left in that final minute, I uncorked it, and we had to catch and pass some dead legs in the final 100 meters, but we got through all the traffic without issue. This was a fast sprint and thank goodness for STI because I easily shifted at full tilt after spinning out my gear, 1/2 way into the sprint. We clocked 36 mph at the line. It's a satisfying result because I feel like I I'm good at getting myself to the front when it matters most and lately I have the punch and the speed in reserve to make something of it. Yeah it's just a training race but honestly- what other race reports are there to read today? Thanks for reading.

No comments: