America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Sunday, June 28, 2009

2009 Keith Berger Criterium 30+

I always enjoy racing in East Hartford. So much so, that I avoid missing it even when I haven't been training right for 2 weeks and on a weekend when I'm in the middle of moving all our furniture and belongings to a new residence. My balls are bigger than my brains I guess, and it's a miracle my wife didn't leave me, but I pulled it off somehow. I traveled to East Hartford, registered, raced as best I could (14th out of 65 starters) and headed straight home for more packing and furniture humping. I'm still doing it and it's 8:30. This morning, every muscle was screaming in pain from Saturday's movement of possessions. I debated for many many minutes what I wanted to do, and in the end, I found myself throwing the bike, shoes and helmet in the car and taking off.
Race-wise, I have little to report since I did nothing of great merit, there is little to tell. Five good riders broke away and the rest of the field sprinted for 6th or 7th. Targettraining and Spooky seemed to dominate and to wit, their lead out person (SB?) sat up and coasted just before the final corner where everyone was trying to accelerate. This caused a bunch of us to grab the brakes and avoid stacking it up on top of him, and this could not have hurt his team mate take the field sprint for 6th.. Well played I guess.. I ended up 8th or 9th in the sprint and 14th overall. One crash took me out of the race completely- I had to come to a complete stop, to avoid smooshing a certain recently crashed GA who was curled up in fetal position, eyes closed, under his bike. I only really stopped to make sure he was okay, and he was just bracing for me to leave tire tracks on his cadaver I think. He and I and a few others took a free lap for this delay. I wish I could have cracked top 10, but I've ridden one time all week since Harlem, and only twice the week before. Feeling fresh, but not particularly fast. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

bigCrank said...

hey! you alive!?!?! hope all is well. no update on my fav blog for a while.
how can i slack at work?