America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Ninigret No 5: Sleep-racing

Past two years I’ve gone to Turkey and returned on a Sunday and raced Ninigret the following Wednesday. Last year, I was somehow able to win the field sprint and get 7th, but I just wasn’t feeling the love last night and it was all I could do just to avoid quitting. A few accelerations early on really put me in the red, and it took forever to shake the effects. I’m a little bit discouraged, but the jetlag and the fatigue of my vacation still lingers in a big way, if that makes any sense. Technically, at 7:00 pm Ninigret time it’s really 2:00 am for me.. Anyway, I like the way that I’m accelerating but I don’t like the amount of recovery time I’m needing between big efforts. Also worth mentioning, I almost crashed last night when another rider who I’d overlapped shifted suddenly left, and my front wheel started to hug their rear wheel. Some quick thinking and weight shifting freed me from this, but then sent me careening off at high speed into the grass on my right. If this had happened from the inside of the course, everyone to my right would have been taken out like bowling pins. From that point on, I resigned myself to tail-gunning the field and just finishing in one piece.

No comments: