America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Friday, December 18, 2009

Spinning Bike for Grandma?

Problem: My mother in law is 5'-3 and 200 pounds. She has been steadily gaining weight ever since her knee problems surfaced, which not only cause her severe pain, it also prevents her from engaging in any of the kinds of activities which would light the fuse on some weight loss. Coupled with her extremely slow movement to both prevent further injury and to avoid falling down, we have some badly under-utilized and weakened leg muscles and a metabolism that's slowed to a crawl.
Solution: Good friend of mine in the woodworking business was lucky enough to be acquainted to Chris Hinds and back in the day, he bought a nice LeMond spinning bike from Providence Bicycle. It hasn't seen much use and so my friend is offering it to me to borrow or buy for a good price and my hope is that I will be able to take this home and get Grandma into a low impact program of sweatin' to the oldies. (It's in the back of my minivan right now!) She needs surgery on one of the joints, but the Doctor refuses to do it until she drops significant pounds, or else the repairs will not last.
Hopefully this is going to work. She's not quite 60 yet and it's time for an intervention of sorts. Thoughts?

9 comments:

solobreak said...

A year of Nega-Coaching would be the perfect holiday gift to go with that spin bike. I can probably get you a deal...

Il Bruce said...

The LeMond is a nice machine. We have one.

Keep the resistance pad oiled.

Ours only gets about 50-60 hours of use a year but hold up well. Check the cranks every so often too.

solobreak said...

Liz rides that thing 49-59 hours a year huh?

IMA said...

This machine is way overbuilt. What kind of oil? Like 3 in 1 type?
Apparently my buddy Ron paid $800 for this thing which is hard to believe. I'm thinking it might be worth the $400 he wants to get for it. Right now I'm just borrowing.
I'm wondering if I can fiti it up with an SRM crank. The crank that is on there is very pretty though.. Has a belt instead of a chain- so quiet and smooth.

Il Bruce said...

Liz may have been on it 6-10 times last year. She bought it and I am the one who feels guilty.

Il Bruce said...

Liz paid about $1,000.00 from World Cycling, the video people, who sent us a destroyed one.

WCP didn't want to do anything to get us a good one and wanted us to take it up with the shipper (Yellow Freight). I called LeMond Fitness and they called Providence Bicycle (we didn't know they had them). Prov Bike brought over a fresh one the next day and took the wrecked one to return to LeMond. Prov Bike worked so we actually paid a bit less than the WCP price.

3 in 1 is what I use.

Il Bruce said...

Oh , I overestimated. I only put about 29 hours on it last year.

solobreak said...

How long before Brucie and Murat's Grandmother in law throw down at those sprints in PVD?

Il Bruce said...

I wrecked something behind my knee trying to keep some hipster honest at the shake down sprint.

Gramma better bring it. I'm doing one legged 30 second drills.