America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Riding away from home (CT) just feels "icky"

I don't know if it was the overcast weather, or the excessive Friday afternoon traffic, or the simple unfamiliarity with the roads.. but I really had a hard time getting into today's ride in CT (was there on business and made the best of it!) Weather was nice low-mid fifties.. ideal. Roads were wet and pools of water were all over the place, and this might have added to the ickiness. At one point, my phone rang and I fumbled it, dropping it while going pretty fast. Luckily it didn't enter the path of traffic and I was able to double back and get it from the gutter. (I later yelled at my wife for calling me, and I feel bad about that- but please... only emergency calls from now on!!!) The first half of this ride I pretty much puttered in the little ring, stopping frequently to try a new angle with my on-bike camera.. But after establishing a decent 13 mile loop, I put it in the big ring and put the camera away.. adding 3 mph on the second lap. So many dead spots in the speed of this chart. Half of them are actual stops at intersections, but the other half are dropped signals. Wireless computers are unreliable... for one who obsesses over such information, it's frustrating because it gives an incorrect picture of the day's effort. I should avoid getting a power meter.. just one more thing to obsess over? or one more indicator of my suckiness? (to borrow the vocabulary of Solobreak)

1 comment:

gewilli said...

yeah but you have over 10 years of prime left - unlike solo

LOL

and...

you know just because the phone rings... doesn't mean you have to answer it...

and you could always stop before answering the phone...

;-)