America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Friday, February 08, 2008

Sticker Shock and Awe

My barber passed away about a year ago.. He was 90+ years old, hunched over with shaking hands and a scrunched up face with an almost comically large chin. Loved the guy. When I discovered he was gone, I went into a zombie like trance in search of a person who could fill his shoes. It's hasn't been fruitful. I've been to about 4 different barber shops in the past year, sat down and patiently waited my turn, when suddenly something about the place- it's cleanliness, it's clientele, it's smell, it's chairs, someone's poor grammar.. something.. made me get up and walk out, un-clipped. I've had two haircuts in the past year: once by my former barber's son, who did a piss poor job, and again while in Turkey last July, where they always do excellent work. So it's been about 6 months.
Today I had enough of trying to manage and control  and fight with my curly lion's mane and I went to my wife's downtown salon. Got an appointment with her stylist. Expected to pay through the nose and be treated a little bit special. Even though those two expectations were met, it was still a disappointment. The guy struggled for over an hour to cut my hair with scissors (I would have been happy with a quality clipper job), left me looking kind of like a little kid and they ended up charging me FIFTY FIVE MO FO DOLLARS.. I wanted to get out of there so bad that I didn't argue. I paid my bill, left a $10 tip, and screwed. They had told my wife on the phone that it would be $29.. not sure why I paid double.. must have something to do with taking so long.. I guess I'm all caught up in terms of my annual "haircut budget". I can afford to go there once a year.. Not.. Never again. That was a dumb move. As I've always believed and now confirm: Men should go to barbers. No exceptions. If you let a woman or a "stylist" cut your hair, you either like eating your corn the long way or you still live with your mom. 

4 comments:

the Husband said...

35 dollars buys a decent set of clippers and you never have to go to the barbers or the stylist again.....thats how I deal with what remains of my hair....

gewilli said...

head to Salon Persia. The dude's a world champ guy. His family is from lebanon, he's lived in Paris. They do a good job, don't charge through the nose.

Good folks.

401 831 9536

get an appointment with Nick (if you can).

when i don't use the clippers to trim my mop, i head over there.

gewilli said...

and it is about as close to a barber as you can get...

hell i went to a barber before this guy and paid MORE for a crappier hair cut that took 2x as long...

barber/stylist... it ain't what ya call it - it how they do it

IMA said...

Thanks Ge.. The old man who used to cut my hair would do it perfectly every time, old school, and ask me for only 8 bucks. I will try the place you suggest.