America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Stomach Flu

After two days of uncontrollable evacuations, fevers, chills, muscle pains and headaches, I feel 1000% better and even put in a nice ride last night on the trainer. Saturday there's a field test. Weather forecast indicates that I may be doing this one on the windtrainer like the last time. Dang.. That means that Normalized power will be pretty much equal to Average power.. It's okay if you don't know what that means.. Anyway, one good thing has become of the bug which made my whole family ill last weekend: I've dropped four pounds!... but more importantly, one full day of nausea-inspired-fasting has shrunk my appetite. and my stomach capacity. Plus, two full days without any coffee, and I didn't really miss it.
To give ya an idear of what that means for me right now.. I now weigh about 17 pounds less than I did on this date one year ago. Even after returning from San Diego at the end of February last year, I was an astonishing 188 pounds. I'm now 173.. and my race weight of last July was a svelte 165. Not too far off the mark. Oh yeah.. base miles are useless, who needs 'em. P-f-f-f-f-f-t-t ! At this rate, getting myself under 160 pounds doesn't seem unrealistic.  

2 comments:

solobreak said...

Murat - a sincere "attaboy." Losing excess weight is hard. I know you'll have a good year, at least relative to the past few. I only caution you to think about having a good life. Rigorous training plans can make you a faster bike racer this year, but in a way it's a quick fix. Racing is great, but your long term health, fitness, and well being are more important (no matter what your coach tells you). Sometimes these goals coincide nicely with each other, but sometimes they don't. You can get fast and strong without sacrificing your overall health. Think about where you want to be physically in 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, not just in 20 weeks. Pro bike racers are not the healthiest crowd in the world. Don't be afraid to do some weight-bearing activities. It won't slow you down that much on the bike, but it will help to keep you fit and healthy in the decades to come. That's my 3 cents.

IMA said...

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care..
Point taken.. and thank you.