America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Sunday, August 17, 2008

USA Cycling Rank Points Cheat Sheet


If you've ever wondered how the magical rank points are calculated for each of your results, here's the answer to your curiosity. Being one who follows this stuff closely and enjoys the added dimension of competition it gives us, I went to the trouble of preparing an Excel formula which will automatically spit out your rank points for any given event. You need to only enter four pieces of information:
1. Your result
2. Number of finishers
3. Race Value Level (found at the top of all USA Cycling results- look at previous year's results if unsure)
4. Event Rank Points (found right above the results of your category- for this example- the range is 176-500, and the two values are entered into two separate cells- D2 and E2)
You also need to enter the formula given in cell F2, which is:
=SUM(E2-D2)/(B2-1)*(A2-1)+C2
The example above shows you my rank points for today's result at the Fall River Criterium.
Remember that the rank given on your personal USA Cycling page is comprised of your top three results in the past 12 months. If you keep track of where you stand in your state and you wonder how so-and-so jumped ahead of you in the standings, you can use this worksheet to figure out which three events got them there. After creating the above spreadsheet, just copy Row 2 two more times and make cell F5 into an average of F2, F3 and F4.
Questions? I'm happy to help.

4 comments:

solobreak said...

So Millwork1 gets a win at Frontier and all you can write about are these silly rankings? Some team captain you are...

:o)

Congrats to Adam

IMA said...

Hear, hear! Congrats to Adam and Matt..
I already reported the win to the entire staff of Millwork One via Blackberry, from the sands of Horseneck Beach on Sunday afternoon AND I reported the good news on the team website, with pictures.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, solobreak- I appreciate it...

IMA said...

Hehe. The more I tinker with my so-called "cheat sheet" the more I discover that a lot of my rankings are the result of some crazy gorilla math on the part of USA Cycling. Seems to work perfectly for the 30+ events, but some key difference exists when calculating 35+ events. Can't get the number to jive. Seems I jumped the gun publishing this. I'm sure someone will figure out where I erred and hopefully share.