America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Murat's in Ra-cha-cha!

We're visiting my mother and my brother in Rochester, NY this weekend. Threw the road bike up on the new bike rack and made the trip last night, arriving at 1:30 am. Today the temperature reached a pathetic 24 degrees F and with the gusting winds, I swear I was going 11 miles an hour on certain stretches of flat road in Webster NY. Ended up doing two big laps and finished at just over three hours at about 155 watts. It had to be 0-10 degrees with the wind chill.. Tomorrow's high temp will be in the teens. Good thing I brought the wind trainer. I might venture out for an hour and then follow up with another hour of spinning indoors.

Last weekend I sure did some damage it seems. The knee feels better- today's ride it felt like someone was just pinching the left side of my knee. My guess is that it's a tendon that's part of Vastus Lateralis. Whatever I did last Saturday caused a low grade strain of the tendon I think.. Puzzling- I didn't do any sprinting.. only some hard stomping at the tops of some small climbs.. nothing out of the ordinary for me.. It had more to do with the duration (four hours) than the intensity I think.

Lucky for me, my mother happens to have a gigantic bottle of Glucosamine Chondroitin in the house- 480 tablets! So I'll be horking down three of those a day for the next few weeks... I may also go to the drugstore and pick up a compression wrap.. Not sure what purpose they serve, but it seems like the right thing to do- hold everything tightly together and aid in cell migration during the healing. I don't know for sure. Maybe some more googling will help. I'm still ina bit of denial..

Rochester is C-COLD!! It's also the place where I first began to race a bike and a place where I know all the roads better than I know the roads of New England.. Rochester always feels like home to us..

1 comment:

leo said...

Murat, it may be the Vastus lateralis muscle itself. If the muscle body is strained and tight, it can really tug on the tendon at its insertion points and give the feeling that it's the tendon itself that is feeling painful. I might try some heat, then massage with your hands of "the stick" if you have one and see if loosening up that muscle helps the knee.

Does the knee seem to feel better once the leg is warm?? Maybe keeping the knee warm indoors tomorrow may be wise. But your call in the end.

I was indoors today and did 75 minutes or so with a 30' crisscross threshold interval dancing between 290 and 335 watts alternating minutes. Ended with 310 average watts for that 30' interval. ended with 5 minutes at 105 rpm for a bit of speed work. I had planned on doing more, but i had to go play tennis with my girlfriend.
Hopefully 3 hours tomorrow with lots of 250-260 watt stretches... tempo baby, tempo.