America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Saturday plans... dashed

Grrrrrr. Last night just before retiring, there's a funny itch in the back of my throat.. I shrug it off as I read my son few children's books before bed time. Fast forward a few hours, I am sleeping alone in my son's bed to avoid cross-contamination.. My Blackberry is set to go off at 6:00 am for an early morning four hour ride.. Fast forward to 8:20 am. I am out the door on my fixed gear, bundled up with new base layer and Saran wrap covering my shoes under my booties. FF to 8:45am as I scream down route 12 in Cranston, crossing over the highway at a ridiculous cadence. Thinking to myself how indestructible these 500 gram tires must be.. when suddenly.. hissssSSSsssSSS.. My ride is over. I stop to inspect the damage. It's a NAIL. The new fixie has fenders and some fancy contraption to tension the chain.. I'm not gonna mess with it.. It's 24 degrees out. I call home, defeated. Dear wife arrives 30 minutes later and takes me home. I strip off the sweaty clothing and climb into bed, where it takes me about an hour to stop shivering. Go back out there? I can't dream of it at the moment, although the temp seems to be up quite a bit. Just had a hearty [second] breakfast.. and maybe in a couple of hours I'll go out on the road bike for a few hours.
The whole idea was to get this ride over with by noon so that the rest of the day can be devoted to family! Can't say I didn't try..

2 comments:

leo said...

FRUSTRATING!!!

i flatted a Secialized armadillo when i was in Rhody, too... impossible, i thought!! (continental contact are the only tires I have yet to puncture (knock wood) and I highly recommend them if you get a new set for commuting.

Did you go back out later in the day??

I did a double work out today.
8am group ride (which ended up only being 3 of us) for a 40 mile wheel sucking fest (I was sucking wheel).

then I saw the GF at the Starbucks she works at for a 3 hour rest, read-newspapers and refuel. Had 2 tasty sangwiches, a recovery drink and tons of coffee and H2O.

I went back out at 1pm to nicer weather and a bunch of caffeine energy and did a 1:18 tempo interval at 240 watts. EASY!
nice ride and ended up with a bit under 4 hours for the day. 3100 joules.

I like 2-a-days! Never would have done it though if the GF was preoccupied at work all day.


I'm stoked about the nice weather to come, though and will be putting the hurt on myself over the next 5 days as the weather gets nice.

Will you have time to ride this week, Murat?


Congrats on getting the team together, too. I wish I was still in Rhody so I could race in those sweet kits!!

Peace,
Leo

IMA said...

Good work Leo. Two rides a day- that's like going to a strip joint twice a day for our kind.. Hehe.
Yes I went out again, or else I couldn't live with myself..
Going to take a picture of that dang nail and post it here later.
Gotta run! Later boss.
-Murat