America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Scenes from the Daily Commute

A random brain purge for your amusement... I'm at a red light this morning, my foot down and I'm centered behind the car in front.. Bike lurches forward because the girl behind me was either not quite awake or has a sick way of flirting with strangers in lycra. Scared the snot out of me. "Are you out of your mind!!!!" She says she's sorry about 100 times while I glare back at her. Grrrrr. Yeah she was definitely "easy on the eyes" but that didn't make me any less agitated.
Saw that same middle aged lady again on the path- the one who is perpetually mashing a 52x13 even though she doesn't break 15 miles an hour... I've told her she's hurting herself, if not now, years later she's gonna feel it.. Passing her the other day I spied her doing 30 rpms again and with outstretched finger I said "You're doing it again!" She must think I'm some nut job for even caring.
Passing a mom and her two kids... mom has no helmet. teenage daughter has her helmet dangling precariously from the handlebars. Had to slow down for this- the girl was beautiful and smart looking.. "Please wear your helmet as I do.." She blushes and promises to put it on at the next stop. Her younger sister is up the road a piece. Also no helmet... "Are you a racer?!" I slow down again "Yes of course I am!" She says: "When I grow up I want to be one too". My heart melts.
The infamous tunnel at New London Ave- the one where I crashed three years ago because someone planted a 6x6 piece of PT lumber in the middle.. The lights now WORK after I wrote the city of Cranston and the state of RI.. They even sent me a letter informing me that they were finally fixed. Trouble is, the lights only work when it's dark out. When I crashed it was daylight- the center of the tunnel is pitch black, even during the day... Time to lobby again so that they lose the timer and keep the lights on 24/7.
Bugs everywhere! They've been swarming lately, especially in the afternoon. It feels NASTY when you're suddenly pummeled by seemingly hundreds of tiny critters, and you have to brush them out of your arm hair where dozens are trapped. Gross.
Gave a recorded account of my collision with a car, at my attorney's office today. The insurance company is still investigating liability, even though I was basically t-boned in a situation where I clearly had right-of-way. "Yes, the driver apologized to me repeatedly while I layed bleeding in the gutter." If that isn't admission of guilt, I don't know what is..
My headset seems loose again, after I've tightened it up twice. The only evidence is that the fork tends to vibrate when I grab the front brake... Hopefully this isn't an issue which is prevalent for the Look 486 bikes.
Ride defensively!

No comments: