America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Over-trained?

That's what a reader suggested that my symptoms indicate. It's possibly true on some level, but my main issue is that I feel tired mentally. The body then feels tired in sympathy. Lack of sleep, stress and worrying about work issues, my father's illness (he has lung cancer), my son going to pre school (the impending high cost of it I mean), a tough month financially (both prop taxes AND homeowner's insurance are due this month), planning a cost prohibitive vacation to Turkey, my red car needing $1000 in brakes/tires etc, planning a small retail business on the side, hating my great-paying current job, but feeling stuck.. all of these things weigh heavy on the mind lately. For a while there I was blocking out all of that shit and focused on training more than anything else.. It's all caught up with me it seems. and it affects how hard one can pedal a bike. Does this come as any surprise? I have two nights of decent sleep behind me. Hopefully I can repeat that tonight and Friday night. A hard training session tonight and then the Attleboro Criterium on Saturday will be the ultimate litmus test. If I feel anything like I did at Wells Ave last Sunday, then I know I need to stop riding for a few days, need to miss the bike a little bit. Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

solobreak said...

Life management is part of the training load. This is something most coaches just don't seem to understand. Go figure, because most of them have been bike race bums for their entire lives.

You have to adjust. If you are not sleeping, then you probably are overtrained.

Be smart and only do the meaningful training. I know bike commuting is a time saver, but I think it does more to make you tired than it does to make you fast. Being a master is WAY different than being a 25 year old Cat 2 who lives with his parents.

-NC

JB said...

what solo said. how is your wattage in z4/5 intervals compared to earlier this season?

Personally, I'd skip the ride today (hard ride on Thu for a Sat race is a bit close anyhow IMO), do a solid set of openers tomorrow, then race Saturday. Today's training session isn't going to make you any faster for Saturday, but possibly slower. Good luck, i can't be there unfortunately.

IMA said...

Thanks Nega Coach. Early in the season, commuting by bike is great.. mid summer with the heat and humidity and the fact that my industry is swamped in July/August.. makes the commute feel like a grind some days..

JB I don't understand your question exactly.. When I first got the Powertap and did my first field test on 5/12, my CP5 was 304.. exactly one month later.. 315.. On 6/23, I hit a CP5 of 335 (NBX Crit) and at Wells the other day CP5 was 330 watts (on a bad day). My z4 range is now 248-287. Z5a is 289-328 and Z5b is 330+ (using Coggan method)You may have a point there about doing a very hard ride tonight.. It's raining out.. I drove home.. So I'll do my four VOmax intervals on the windtrainer, 3 minutes each with 8 minutes rest in between. That's zone 5a for the first 2-1/2 minutes and zone 5b-all out- for the last 30 seconds. I need to do this because it's been a week of low duration and intensity.. like my rest week has been extended a few days already. Recovery in time for Attleboro will come with proper sleep I hope. Saturday's results will speak for themselves I guess. Thanks for writing.

JB said...

What i meant is that when you can't hit 'typical' wattages (say, on your favorite 5-min climb or some such), which maintaining training hours, then it may be time to skip a few.

If you're goig by CTL point increases (you're a CPeaks guy, right?), then 4-6/week is a good goal to shoot for long-term. That is when everything else in life goes according to plan.

Big three are training load, nutrition, recovery.

What do you mean by Coggan method? 20 min TT wattage * 0.95? (he doesn't recommend that way, but his co-author in the book does).

God, I'm such a nerd.

IMA said...

I have this Excel spreadsheet where you enter your FT (CP60) and all of your other zones are calculated using multipliers established by Coggan. Early on, yes i was using the CP20 x 0.95 to find my FT. but now that I have over two months of data built up, my FT (CP60) is found on my Peaks chart. Tonight I did those four intervals on the wind trainer and they were harder than the last time I did them on the road. Legs are strong, but tight. I need loads of warm-up to get loose and juiced. I should do some serious stretching tomorrow night.