America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Monday, July 16, 2007

Wells Ave melt down

I don't know if it was the fact that I didn't eat except for some cereal, five hours before the race (what was I thinking?), or if it was the effort given to the first four laps in a four man break (we had a great gap- I have pictures), or if it was the heat and humidity, or if it was because I spent Saturday felling tree limbs and very large trees on our lot.. but after 20 minutes in the Wells Ave crit, all systems failed, the well ran dry, the power was cut off, the tank was empty.. I took a one lap breather and thought I'd get back into it, but after 1/2 of a 1/2 hearted lap trying to stay in there, I understood that I just plain "didn't have it" yesterday and so I packed it in early. It's disappointing that a so-called "rest week" can end this way, but my sleep durations and quality were also very poor all last week too. Man, am I full of excuses or what? I received the next four weeks training program last night.. sends chills up my spine. After the Attleboro Criterium this Saturday, I don't race again until the 11th of August, when I will commence racing at five venues in nine days. This will include the Witches Cup on the 15th, which is right down the street from my Salem High School project. 

4 comments:

JB said...

nice being in a shortlived break with you! that was a brutal day.

-Josef

IMA said...

Likewise my friend. Lucky we didn't smash into those cars though!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of cars....

On Saturday, July 14, (my daughter's birthday), I went for a lite 23 mile ride in Bow. With less than 2 miles to go, I was at the top of Page Hill. This is 2 miles of recently paved down hill. A bonus to any bike rider.

Just before I started down, I was passed by a FedX truck. Within 15 seconds I reached 47 mph and caught the truck. I started to brake so I wouldn't get to close when all of a sudden, the truck stopped abruptly. They missed their turn!

There was absolutely no where for me to go. I braked hard and my back tire slid to the right, impacting the back of the truck (by now I had slowed to 37 mph). Upon impact, I was immediately thrown from the bike and first landed on the back of my head, crushing my helmet, then continued my slide on the pavement, leaving much of the skin on my left side on the road.

Once I came to a stop and shook the cobwebs from my head, I looked at the helmet. It was crushed inward and also cracked in two places. Although I may have suffered a slight concussion, if I hadn't been wearing the helmet, I would most probably be dead right now.

I don't write this for your sympathy. I write this to warn you of the dangers of not being protected in cycling, or any sport. Things happen fast, and usually quite close to home. Please wear a helmet so that you can ride another day.

I would have rather blew up at Wells! Cheer up Murat. You will race again.

Anonymous said...

You sound over trained.