America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Strange things abound at the Circle K...

Ninigret tonight: I rode at the back of the field for the first 15 laps (out of 30), completely apathetic and oblivious to what's going on up front. Legs strong and fresh. But the mind: stale and tired.. Then I decide to try something, maybe shake off this funk. Five or so guys had opened a gap.. and it was getting bigger. So I dive to the front and take a one minute long pull (464 watts average it turns out, 28.1 mph average into the headwind).. I reach the break and take a rest.. never looking back.. Try to hold my position on the tail of the break.. then I pull through a couple of times.. Then a few guys go past me..then a couple more.. and then no one is left! Turns out I just dragged 8 or 9 guys up to the break, and the field was waaaaay back there. So the 17 of us are rotating pulls.. But something is STILL wrong with me. I don't feel right. Seems that all that I've eaten since noon is still churning in my gut, yet I feel hungry.. and nauseous at the same time. I'm emitting nasty belches.. Energy level so low. Desire to suffer.. none. I had to quit to avoid throwing chunks. Could have sat up and let the field absorb me (it would have taken a lap or so, even if I soft pedaled). No. I made a difficult and critical move and earned the right to be in the break. Wasn't going to spoil the achievement by drifting back to the field. So I confirm today that I can drill it pretty hard when it's necessary.. I did a lot of that Sunday at Wells after all.. but today something was missing. I had the power to make it to the end, I just didn't feel like it. How effin stupid does that sound? Hopefully this is just a gastric/nutrition problem and not something else.

No comments: