America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Friday, April 06, 2007

Chris Hinds Criterium: Water finds it's crack

My brain resisted the idea of riding home from work, but my heart was into the idea, and won the debate. No doubt it was cold.. but nothing ends a work week better than a bike ride home. Enough said. It took a while to get warmed up. The stop lights seemed to be timed to impede my progress. Couple of times I thought I'd make it, only to grab the brakes hard and put a put a foot down.. which explains why my left Speedplay cleat has been loosening up every few weeks. At last night's spin class at Bally's (which I'm proud to say, included my wife Ebru) I tightened up the cleats and ended up stripping one of the screws.. Time for new $40 cleats I suppose.. On the bike path, lots of roller bladers today. I had to approach one from behind.. He was in the left side of the path. Steady. Moving forward in a stright line without swerving. I'm about to pass on the right.. then he unexpectedly does some effing maneuver right into my path! I'm in the dirt and rocks all of a sudden, leaning on him shouting "heads up! heads up!". "Sorry dude." Pffft. "Me too" was my reply. Almost hit the deck there.. Other than that, the ride was cool, quiet and uneventful. I give myself points for not bailing and taking the short, direct route to my house (at 14 miles).. Instead I took the long way that I usually take, making it a 21 mile ride. Chart above represents 19 miles.. because my wireless Polar is quite finnicky in the cold.. One thing I discovered recently: Backpacks are a good thing in the winter. Keeps the back nice and warm. Not great for when you want to get out of the saddle though. Tomorrow is Chris Hinds Criterium at Ninigret. The weather's going to be crap, as it should be in April. I guess a little bit of extra discomfort and suffering is something we should be able to handle. And as for our mutual friend Chris Hinds, let me salute him with the timeless Anatolian proverb: "Water has found it's crack".

No comments: