America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Junk Miles?

After my meltdown at the GVCC Classic, I didn't get to see Todd Scheske again, but he called me in the evening to make sure I was okay. I love that. Says it all about him doesn't it? Anyway we get to talking about things for almost 1/2 hour and I explain that I weigh 25 pounds more than we did back when we were juniors (I'm 174) Todd, on the other hand, seems to have lost weight since that time somehow.. Todd's like "holy shit dude! Drop ten pounds and your power/kg will go off the chart" Duh! I've known this.. but no matter what I do I can't get under 170 so far this season.. Maybe I will soon though because of the daily bike commute becoming a regular thing.. Hope so.. although Todd refers to such riding as "junk miles". (Ouch) Todd's a Cat One who definitely has his stuff together, going to Master's Nationals, winning at Chris Thater et al... We're the same age. He uses a power meter and trains smart.. So smart in fact that he offers coaching... The Cat One (Mike Mathis) who won the GVCC Classic is Todd's pupil. With my recent lack of results and getting my nose rubbed in it publicly, I'm thinking I'll take him up on it. Insanity can be defined as continuing to do the same thing, and expecting different results. Could I be beyond help? At my genetically pre-disposed limits of performance? I doubt it.    

2 comments:

solobreak said...

I lost 30 pounds with one simple change: staying out of restaraunts. That's it. Other than that I eat what I want, and trained a modest 320-350 hours/year. It works, and sure it helps on the hills...

IMA said...

Maybe I'm unrealistic to want to be 150 again, but I don't think 160 is unreasonable.. If I had my way, I'd never eat at restaurants.. but a certain 4 year old picky eater has us going wherever we know he will eat. One thing which I know helps me is cutting out sugary foods, and the morning coffee. I don't avoid carbs, but I try to limit myself on the bread and starch intake. Modest amounts.. It's easy to forget too, that we add muscle mass while training a heavier body.