America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Chris Hinds Criterium Race Report


First of all: Many thank to our race organizer: Jonathon Lowenstein..
Not much good to say about my performance today.. Although I'm kind of exhausted, it's late and I just finished assembling some very large IKEA furniture.. Murat is disappointed.. I had all kinds of gas left in the tank after the final sprint.. unhappy about holding back and not leaving it all out there. I know when I've given it everything.. I'll have weird cramps and nausea after the finish. Not debilitating, just a nuisance kind of feeling. How I allowed myself to be shuffled to the middle of the field with just a few laps to go.. I can't explain. But it took some kamikaze cornering, some short bursts on the grass, and a lot of risk taking to get up into top friggin twenty, barely. One thing I found to be helpful was taking off the gloves at 5 to go. The mushy feeling they give kind of dampens my confidence and makes me overly careful. Bare handed: much better. Our team had six riders today, with best place going to Neil who actually finished in the money. Lots of respect to Neil and the rest of the team: Michael Andelman (15th), Steve Bonadio (34th), Rick Kotch and Jay Busse. Even if our results seem kind of like Powerball numbers: 10-15-20-34-37-48.. All we need is a Powerball.. I think I'll play these numbers next Wednesday.. One lesson I re-learned today: When there's a big field, it's even more important to stay up front as much as possible. There are so many more people competing for position.. This race had over 70 starters.. Today's speed was not very high- around 25 mph.. but the cold has an effect on everyone I think. It was around 40 degrees, with a wind chill much lower than that. My average heart rate was high: 173. What's up with that? I did in fact feel pretty fresh and strong, just didn't feel very fast. Saw fellow blogger Solobreak at the start.. Must have been tired from the fine place he earned in the 45+. Didn't see him again. Where's Gewilli? Where's Colavita? Where's the rest of the Union Velo team? Lots of no shows.. Then again, look at the weather. It did suck to be all bundled up. Man I miss San Diego.. The other thing which took the wind out of my sails: damn camera didn't work. Very sorry about that.. Was very excited about giving you guys some great footage tonight.. I was at the start line trying to power it up and no dice. Too cold out.. That and the crappy IKEA batteries I put in it.. which used to be made in Germany.. now they're coming from China.. Need to get lithiums.. more tolerant of the cold. Should be at Wells tomorrow.. weather permitting. Full results

2 comments:

solobreak said...

I had enough in the 45+, so I was not among the legions who double-dipped into the 35+. I had all I could do to spin up to you and ask about the camera.

gewilli said...

Family and other work to do, also really needed some time off the bike...