America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Wells Ave Race Report for April 1 2007


Today had it's highs and it's lows.. Great weather for racing.. about 60 degrees when we started, slight wind, partly cloudy.. but the field was rather small, I think there were only about 40-45 starters in the A race, thanks to the Marblehead race drawing most of the region's competitors. Me, I decided to be a cheap lazy procrastinator and missed a chance to register. I had no idea it was so popular.. Well it made for a light field today at Wells, both in attendance and depth of participant wattage.. Not to say it was easy, not at all.. there were lots of attacks to cover, breaks to chase down and primes to sprint for.. But compared to the race exactly one year ago (again, Marblehead was same day) this year was a click faster for sure... Murat spent lots of time at the front with his head down, trying to contribute to the overall average speed.. Our Union team had four entries: Rick Kotch, Dave Lyman, Neal (sp?) and myself. Regrettably, the CCB riders stole the show in spite of our best efforts. Three riders escaped, another two bridged up late.. leaving us with the field sprint for sixth place. On the bright side, Mr. "I've ridden five times all year" Kotch took the field sprint, and embarrassingly, he did it while trying to lead me out. It didn't work out what can I say? I was a part of what I believed to be the lead-out train, in fact I got a little aggressive on the last lap and shouldered my way onto the wheel I wanted- Thad Lavallee's. Then as we're rounding the last bend before the straightaway, Kotch comes flying up on the outside and says "Murat let's go" or some such remark. No worries, I shift left and start winding it up behind Kotch. As it turned out, I ended up blowing my wad with about 25 meters to go.. sat down and spun it out as best I could, crossing seventh in the field sprint, 12th overall. Yeah five guys got past me in the last 10 meters, I was pretty much siezed up by this time. On the bright side (I know I said that already) a pack prime was announced for the 27th lap, and I won it with time to sit up early.. Felt gooood. At first it was Dave Lyman who jumped for it early, followed by the one woman in our group and another rider who I can't name. First our lady friend peeled off, then Dave Lyman.. leaving me with unidentified sprinter. At this point Dave yells "GO Murat, you got him!" and this was what I needed to snap me out of a trance. I shifted and went for it, per his suggestion, as if my life depended on it. It's amazing what a person's positive encouragement can do. I must tip my hat to Dave Lyman for taking an earlier prime himself, and for helping me get one also. Rick Kotch in his terrible form with no training won the field sprint, and I respect that immensely (I have 800 miles in my legs and maybe I have something close to his form at this point) Neal? I don't know much about him, but for one who hasn't raced in a loooong time (as I understand it).. you looked pretty solid to me! Here's the coolest thing about today (except for the batteries dying): I was able to video record the first 9 minutes of the race using my "handlebar cam" mounted discreetly under the bars. Batteries were due for changing though, and it just died after 9 minutes. Footage will be posted here ASAP. Need to choose some good background music for it. Thanks for reading.

No comments: