America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

East Providence Bike Path: Not what it used to be

Murat went riding today at one of his old stomping grounds, the East Providence Bike Path. Last time I was on it, a raw sewage line had burst stinking up the place and obstructing the path with some bypass piping.. Today I just wanted to chill and spin the little ring.. and that's what I thought I was doing.. until the 38th minute when I look down and realize I'm in the 53x19.. Murat shrugs at this point and says 'Fuck it'. Today the east side's stunning beauty and waterviews were eclipsed completely by the degenerated condition of the path's surface. In many places, there's hardly a square inch not covered in dirt, gravel, and seashells. I've also forgotten how narrow the path is.. Makes the Cranston path feel like the Cross Island Parkway (remember when Kramer re-painted the stripes?) One thing which did like was that there was no broken glass anywhere. Yes our Cranston/West Warwick path is plagued with young people and their infatuation with diminishing the enjoyment of others. Sunday I had to clear tree branches which were deliberately placed to obstruct the path entirely.. Shit like this makes me really dislike teenagers.. all of them.. guilty by association. If I could only catch the fuckers in the act of breaking bottles, I will make them regret it with a very fast call to the police department and some choice words.. Anyway.. Murat rode out to Colt Park, circled around the back side, and enjoyed a nice tailwind during the 13 miles back to the car.. Today it occurred to me that the roads in Colt Park can potentially be a pretty good criterium course.. A little on the long side maybe (we can call it a "circuiterium") although there is a road cutting through the middle of the course making it more compatible to a typical crit course in length. I will consult with the Union boys and explore whether we can resurrect our defunct Lincoln Crit with a replacement at Colt.. Make it an early Saturday morning event... Around the 90th minute of my ride, the inevitable...Like two ships passing in the night, Murat and Gewilli saluted eachother as they passed from opposite directions.. I would have stopped, but the future ex-wife was already engaged in the act of dividing up our shit because I'm habitually late getting home as promised.. Sorry boss. Also worried that you might jack knife the trailer and crash trying to slow down so suddenly.. Next two days will be some active rest.. maybe a spin class tomorrow night to stay loose. I want to race the Pro-3 and the 35+ on Saturday at Ninigret.. If it doesn't crack 40 degrees, I may pass on it though. Pressing my luck with catching a cold lately, riding in these 40 degree temps.

2 comments:

gewilli said...

yah i figur'd as much...

No glass? Ya didn't see that corona bottle just south of the riverside section? shattered to bits?

Or how about the big tree?

It would be nice if it was wider tho... but hey... its what we got...

and rather than crit at Colt... i'd like to see a cross race there!

IMA said...

Nope I missed the Corona bottle, but the branches I now remember.. Cross race at Colt Park? Pfffft. Why waste such a beautiful venue on a slog through the dirt and mud?..... Kidding!
Like the butler says at the end of "Trading Places": "Let's have both!"