America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Field Test No 2 Results..

1 minute=574 watts
5 minute=315
20 minute=256 (264 norm power)
Previous Field Test Values on May 12th:
1 minute=564
5 minute=303
20 minute=234 (262 norm power)
I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only one using a PT who has it set to record zeroes (while coasting).. Judging from the power levels of others which I read about here and there, it's hard to believe I am so low on the food chain. Makes it seem like a friggin miracle that I can finish a Pro crit or crack top 20 in a master's crit.. I feel like I would have done better if it was warm out.. I had no arm warmers with me and never felt comfortable in the cool 55 degree weather, which felt much colder with the wind.. I also understand that on warmer days, the PT reading can be elevated. Today I had no such advantage.. Oh well, the training program seems to be working. I see decent improvement for just a four week 'build'. Let's see what I can do in time for the New Britain Crit or the Attleboro Crit.. or BOB BEAL! I wonder what my watts were during last year's 3 mile TT.. I also wonder if I could beat that time today, and by how much? I also wonder if it's wise to share this information so freely. Now it's no secret how much I suck! (tongue implanted in cheek) One important distinction: the 20 min watts above represent FT, not the watts I could average for 20 minutes with fresh legs.. The first two one minute efforts take a lot out of you, as does the five minute effort which follows.. Weight is down to 165! Oh my! I was 175 when I did the first field test on 5/12.. What effect does this have on watts? I'm 10 pounds lighter, so it should be easier to do more watts? Or not? ... Whatever.. I miss my Polar HRM, which now resides dormant, at the bottom of my backpack.. Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

gewilli said...

10 pounds lighter means even if you keep the same wattage you gain power to weight.

It is like keeping the same horsepower and dropping weight on a car (it goes faster).

AND gaining power while DROPPING weight is very good.

Index those watts against kg and ya went from 2.9 w/kg up to 3.4 w/kg

that is pretty significant man.

but it all goes to show, power means jack squat when racing (to a degree). or should ya say finishing? Esp in a crit when placement and experience make heaps of difference and when the muscle between your ears is firing on par with the legs.

although i'd just guess that your numbers should be higher if ya wanna be winning all the primes and finishes.... but then that be a WAG...

Zap those legs tonight with a 20 minute interval/TT

jay robbins said...

does the PT computer give you the option to record something other than a zero when you are coasting, such as a blank?

gewilli said...

yeah - you can have it ignore the zeros...

jay robbins said...

seems like that could boost your average power a fair amount, however i wouldn't expect murat to have many zeros in his field tests

IMA said...

Only about 15 seconds worth of zeroes. The 20 minute TT route had three corners where I had to brake and stop pedaling. On the other hand, it averages back up because after each corner I drill it for an equal number of seconds..
I can tell that I tried really hard last night in the field test, because even holding endurance pace hurt a lot tonight riding home.Yeah, you can tell the PT to ignore zeroes, which is whenever there's no cadence detected. With such a setting one can achieve huge power numbers. Lest we forget, the field test is done entirely while seated! If it was permissible to stand and sprint, again the numbers would be much higher.