America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Ninigret Criterium: 8th


Nice sized "A" field last night, with about 60 racers at the start. I arrived super early and did an hour of zone 1 beforehand. Used my Rolf Vector Pro tubular front wheel- the one with the eighty dollar Schwalbe tire.. Love those wheels, too bad the rear's a Campy. It had been raining on and off all day but by the time our race took start it was bright and sunny out, really beautiful. I almost attached the handlebar cam, but decided against it at the last minute. Ninigret is usually a challenge for me.. but last night I felt pretty good, did lots of work at the front, and finished the race in 8th place. Team mate Rick Kotch was pipped at the line by Tobi Schultz and took 2nd. I haven't done any training to improve my sprint, so in the rare instance where I have a shot at a top three, I can feel the deficiency. In the final wind-up, the best I could do is hold my position out of the final corner, seated. Need to work on that. I believe my training plan is bearing some fruit, as I was only put into real difficulty only once, where someone who was tired let a pretty large gap open up during an acceleration. That hurt so much I needed a few laps of recovery before I moved to the front again. I overheard a few people saying how it was the hardest Ninigret crit so far this year, and it was encouraging to hear. Now I need to decide whether to stay in town and race at Cox, or drive to Rochester again to do the Rochester Twilight Crit. Maybe the weather report will decide for me?

No comments: