America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Friday, June 15, 2007

Plymouth-Reebok

Does anyone remember the old Plymouth-Reebok junior team of the late eighties? I remember that their reputation was such that most junior racers would dread their attendance- they were very fast. Who was on that team? Who went pro? Who among them still races? The names John Loehner, Aaron Newland, Jonas Carney and Paul Pisani stand out in my mind, but not sure what team they were on back in the old days.. I do remember a young (15 year old) George Hincapie taking all the honors of every junior crit and then taking a top three or a win in the cat 2-3 races of the same event.. Nowadays I see Gavin Mannion of CCB winning in the same manner and it's like deja-vu. Mark that name down. You'll be hearing it again in the coming years. 

5 comments:

solobreak said...

Well, Frank and Mark were the anchors of that team. Mark still has the bike on the wall of his living room. I remember John Dipibbo (sic) winning on that team, and Bill Dolan's son Billy rode for them too.

solobreak said...

Billy Dolan

Jonas Carney

Both juniors at the cross nats in Plymouth, 1988. Markie won that day, and I think Jonas was third.

Il Bruce said...

John DiPippo, from Cahvanston, RI. Nice family he was an EBCC junior before he joined the Plymouth Mafia.

Quit HS to race. Totaly burned out before he hit seniors.

I think he turned up at URI.

Anonymous said...

I remember that team when I was a junior. Jason Snow was on that team. He's still racing too. I also rember being at the Distict RR in 1988. That whole team was off the front and missed a turn. They had to TT to get back on.

Jon Lowenstein

Anonymous said...

I remember the junior team very much because I was a member in 1987 and 1988. The original Northeast Team consisted of John Dipippo, Jason Snow, Bill McKiernan, Andy Hiller, Mark McCormack and his brother and team leader Frank. We primarily traveled the NE circuit but our focus each season was the premier junior stage race in Canada the Tour de Abitibi. There we raced against the best juniors in the world.

Some of the high moments I remember were being invited to the OTC a couple occasions, training with Frank Andreu and Dave Lettieri in Fresno, racing against Viatcheslav Ekimov and very young George Hincapie, sprinting side-by-side with Jonas Caney and especially racing on the same team with Frank McCormack who I believe could have been the best – he definitely was when I raced on his team.