America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Yet another travel day..

Going up to Salem and Somerville for a couple of jobsite visits. Gotta make myself available for my carpenters, do some field measuring, answer to the contractors and architects who sign the checks.. Seems to me there's a CRIT in Salem MA called the Witch's Cup Criterium on August 15th at 6:50 PM for the Pro race. I can easily set myself up to go to the Salem jobsite on that day, and then race afterwards.. Sweet. Time to drive north.
One thing I noticed this morning, as I do every morning.. EVERY motorist commuting to work seems to have a cigarette between their lips. One woman almost took me out trying to race me into Dunkin Donuts. Slammed on her brakes to avoid hitting me, as did I. Saving three seconds is apparently worth risking life and limb to these assholes. And yesterday riding down Route 1A to the beach.. a black Jeep Wrangler goes past me, riding IN the shoulder to deliberately graze me as they go by. Loaded with college pukes, one of whom was reaching out of the car to do something to me, I don't know what. I'm sure they had a good laugh at my expense. Had I panicked and swerved a little left, I'd be in the hospital or dead. I'm astonished at people's stupidity. I looked everywhere to find them later on down the road. No such luck. If I had caught them somewhere, I'd have a few choice words and of course a face full of water from my bottle would have been delivered right up the driver's nose. "Seems you needed some cooling off, asshole. Pretty courageous of you to endanger my life with your car and speed away.." That's what I would have said. Tried to read the plate, but vision was blurred with copious amounts of sweat on my face. Ride safe! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate assholes like that Murat. Unfortunately, it's a way of life for us roadies! Stay safe amigo.

I wouldn't confront assholes like that either. You never know how someone will react these days. What comes around, goes around.

the Husband said...

no better here in NJ I had a can of beer thrown out of the passenger window last weekend at me but the best was wednesday when some "white van man" turned right in front of me causing me to almost lose it under heavy braking but the best bit was the cop waiting at the stop sign who proceeded to have a word with said "white van man"....and i have lost count of the times I have been told to get on the sidewalk...assholes. I used to ride in a chain gang in south London where some of the more aggressive types used to carry ball bearings in their back pockets and if these things happen then its goodbye windscreen......however in the UK they don't carry guns!!!!! On the other hadn your sell phone with camera can work a treat as a deterrent to red neck bubba jr.