America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

America's #1 Balance Bike Destination
America's #1 Balance Bike Destination

Friday, June 15, 2007

Squirrel goes on rampage, injures 3


A squirrel is seen in St. James Park in London in this May 2, 2007 file photo. An aggressive squirrel attacked and injured three people in a German town before a 72-year-old pensioner dispatched the rampaging animal with his crutch. REUTERS/Alessia Pierdomenico

This caught my eye only because these vermin in disguise populate the bike path I use to commute, in large numbers. They seem to have a short circuit with determining which side of the path is better, and at what time it's safest to cross. I kill at least one every year with a fatal bike tire across the neck... um.. regrettably.

4 comments:

solobreak said...

They're not as dumb as people think. Yes, they act unpredictably. That's because they instinctively think you're a predator who is TRYING to get them. They don't know you're trying to avoid them. So they jump around like you are a hawk just to confuse you. If you aim for them they'll probably get out of the way. Ya long-haired freak.

IMA said...

I find the best deterrent is a loud SHHHT! or some freewheeling. Lately I'm seeing a lot of field mice, rabbits and chipmunks too. Cats are the coolest. They never seem to panic too much. Predictable.
The ladies dig long hair, Mr Drill Sargeant. I may eat my words later though when it becomes a completely unmanageable pain in the ass. Laziness conquers all and inevitably prevails. Hey at least I don't tattoo my face! Who did that recently?

solobreak said...

Murat the ladies man. Yeah, I heard that sometimes you have to beat them off with a stick, and other times you just beat off.

IMA said...

Back in 1993 (age 22) when I had a motorcycle and hair that couldn't be tamed, yeah.. you could say that I could pick and choose my companions.. but why project your private hobbies upon others? Besides, you refer to a pastime which no man should ever have to apologize to anyone about. Let's just leave it at that, "solo". Ha, you walked right into that one boss.